Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Preliminary Rank List for Pathology today!

I just got done doing my preliminary rank list for pathology! The deadline for submitting and certifying the list is February 26th 2014.

According to data from the 2013 NRMP match data: 

-Applicants matched to their 1st choice 49.6% of the time. 2013 was the FIRST time that this number was less than 50%!

-In the years 1997-2005 this number was much higher! In those years the average percent chance of matching into your first choice was about 57-58%.  It is a whole 10% less this year! Things are getting more competitive. I am glad to be going into pathology because the crazy competition for pathology has not gotten as intense as other specialties.

-If you take the the percent matched into 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice the percents from 2013 match:
49.6% matched into their first choice, 15.2% matched into their 2nd choice, and 9.7% matched into their 3rd choice.  So for me to get choice 1-3, I add all those up which is about a 75% chance of matching into 1 of my top 3 choices! I am happy with this, since all 3 of my top 3 choices are awesome places! See the photo to see more details:


My top 3 rank list:
#1 University of Minnesota Pathology
#2 Medical College of Wisconsin Milwaukee Program
#3 Emory University Pathology

I will be happy at either 3 of those places and my chances of getting in are high if we go with the statistics!

-MD in 14 

No comments:

Post a Comment